Aboriginal Health Practitioner
About the Organisation
The Derbarl Yerrigan Health Service Aboriginal Corporation (DYHS) was established in 1974 and is the largest Aboriginal community-controlled health service provider in Western Australia, providing care to over 20,000 Aboriginal patients across four clinics in East Perth, Mirrabooka, Maddington and Midland.
Our staff enable the delivery of culturally responsive primary health services, focusing on prevention, early intervention, comprehensive care and care coordination including chronic disease management.
About the Role
The primary responsibility of this role is to provide Primary Health Care for Aboriginal individuals, families and community groups. Aboriginal Health Practitioners within Derbarl Yerrigan Health Service assist in arranging and coordinating health care plans for clients. The successful applicant will be expected to liaise with internal staff, community members and stakeholders to develop and implement health promotion education and community development strategies. This is an excellent opportunity to apply your skills to a positive and creative program, which will improve the wellbeing of Aboriginal people.
We’re seeking candidates, with the following selection criteria:
- Aboriginality is an essential requirement for this role and proof of Aboriginality will form part of the application process.
- Fully Covid-19 Vaccinated.
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander pursuant is a genuine requirement for this position as per Section 50D of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984.
- Hold current registration with AHPRA as an Aboriginal Health Practitioner.
- Certificate IV or Diploma in Aboriginal Health.
- Knowledge of current health issues, impacting on Aboriginal Health.
- Understanding the principles of public health including health education, health promotions and disease prevention.
- Experience in working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and security of records and information.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety, Industrial Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity Legislation.
- Current Senior First Aid Certificate.
- Current Working with Children Check.
- Computer literacy skills.
- Current Western Australian Drivers Licence.
- A National Police Clearance not older than 6 months and maintained every 3 years from date of issue.
A competitive salary commensurate with relevant qualifications, skills and experience is on offer for the right candidate.
As a public benevolent institution, DYHS offers salary packaging up to $15,900. Other entitlements include study leave, long service leave after 7 years, 12 days of personal leave per year, NAIDOC Day holiday and professional development opportunities.
How to Apply:
Please apply through SEEK, applications must include:
- Current Resume including current contact details; and
- Cover letter addressing the selection criteria (2 pages maximum) outlining your suitability for the role.
Please note that shortlisting will commence immediately.
Derbarl Yerrigan Health Service Aboriginal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Institution embracing diversity and strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and welcome applications from all backgrounds. DYHS promotes a workplace free from discrimination and harassment.
Derbarl Yerrigan Health Services Corporation reserves the right to contact current or most recent employer and evaluate past employment records of applicants selected for interview. DYHS reserves the right to re-advertise the position or to delay final selection if it is deemed that applications for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool.
Derbarl Yerrigan Health Service Aboriginal Corporation is committed to a smoke free environment across all buildings, grounds and vehicles.