FIFO Casual / Permanent – Remote Area Nurse – Chronic Disease
Your opportunity – Be part of something bigger
Miwatj Health Aboriginal Corporation is one of Australia’s largest providers of Aboriginal health care. Our incredible team provides remote health services and support to more than 10,000 people across East Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory.
We empower Yolngu people to take control of their lives and direct their future – and we are looking for passionate people like you to join our team.
Miwatj Health are pleased to offer this position as a permanent or FIFO opportunity. Based in our Miwatj Health Aboriginal Corporation managed clinics – Gapuwiyak, Galiwin’ku, Milingimbi or Ramingining you will be working closely with our Aboriginal workforce. To be successful in this position you will provide high quality, culturally appropriate and effective nursing practice to improve the health and Well-being of the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people within the Miwatj region.
The Remote Area Nurse (RAN) works as part of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team and provides the highest standard of patient centered care for clients through the provision of comprehensive primary health care services.
The RAN position can be based at any remote Miwatj site and will be required to support an allocated PHC portfolio and participates in the 24-hour on call roster for acute and emergency responses.
Core aspects of your role will include:
- To work in the Acute Care Program in collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team to provide high quality and evidence based care.
- Deliver health promotion and education activities, and participate in assigned health programs (i.e., Chronic Disease, Child Health, RHD)
- Provide culturally inclusive health care to the community within agreed procedures and protocols
- Provide high quality emergency care as per the CARPA Standard Treatment and Clinical Procedures manual
- Work towards the achievement of key performance indicator targets, perform cycles of care and health checks across the life span.
- Promote and support Aboriginal Health Practitioners as the primary health carers within the community
- To be the clinical expert and resource person who mentors and develops Aboriginal Health Practitioners, students, and other members of the health team
- Support and participate in the ongoing development of quality improvement, including contributing to policy development and performance appraisal
- Participate in routine service delivery of vaccinations to the community
- Generate referral lists from Communicare across specialist areas and maintain a database for each specialist area to track assessments, treatments, and follow-on referrals
- Generate weekly recall lists from Communicare for follow-up of clients
Why would you like to work for Miwatj Aboriginal Health Corporation?
We offer a range of benefits in this role, including:
- Competitive salary of $115,032 to $123,580 PA (depending on skills and experience)
- Ability to Salary Package up to $15,900pa plus a further $2,650pa on Meals and Entertainment
- 6 Weeks annual leave + 17.5% leave loading
- 10.5% Superannuation
- Miwatj Annual Leave Travel Assistance up to $2,000
- Fly Out Leave
- 12 Days Personal and 5 Days Compassionate Leave
- Professional development and study leave
- Study Assistance up to $1,800
- Post Graduate Allowance at 2% of Annual Salary
- Housing and utility package
- Relocation and Repatriation assistance
- Full time employees maybe eligible for a Retention Bonus of up to $10,000 (subject to meeting the eligibility criteria)
Who we’re looking for:
To thrive in this role, you’llhave:
Essential Minimum Requirements
- An understanding of and commitment to Aboriginal Community Control and self-determination.
- An understanding of the issues faced by Yolngu people living in remote settings.
- Current Registration and Practicing Certificate as a Registered Nurse through AHPRA
- At least 3-5 years post graduate experience with demonstrated advanced clinical skills and competencies applicable to remote area nursing
- Current Remote Emergency Care Course certificate and/or an Advanced Life Support certificate
- Current accredited immunisation certificate recognised in the NT
- Current manual driver’s license
- NT Working with Children’s Check Card
- Current Remote Pharmacotherapeutic certificate or equivalent or working towards.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of primary health care and program delivery in the remote area primary health care context.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of indigenous culture and social determinants of health.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with people from a diverse culture, where English is not their first language.
- Demonstrated ability and experience working autonomously and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to triage and work independently with experience in participating in after hour’s emergency calls and first response.
- Willing to travel in small charter planes
- Ability to operate and drive 4WD to the homelands.
- Demonstrated effective communication, documentation, and computer skills.
- Capacity and willingness to live and work in a remote area community.
- Demonstrated understanding of, and commitment to occupational health and safety standards, including reporting incidents and injuries and quality improvement.
- Ability to act in accordance with Miwatj Health values and code of conduct.
- Post graduate qualifications or experience in emergency nursing, pediatrics, primary health care and public health
- Current Maternity Emergency Course certificate (or equivalent)
- Four-wheel drive experience
For more information, please contact the Director of Nursing and Midwifery at email@example.com and please address your application in accordance with the attached Job Description.
Application close date: 3 February 2023
We’re proud to have employed over 116 Yolngu employees and we are always looking to increase that number. If you’re Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and interested in this role you are encouraged to apply.