Peer Support Worker – Sydney (Aboriginal Identified)
- Full time or Part-time options
- Salary: $36.00AUD Per Hour
- Location: Sydney, CBD
- Contract: Fixed-Term Contract until 30th June 2024 – potential extension
- Hours: Full time – Monday – Friday, 12:00pm – 20:00pm
- Hours: Part-time – Minimum of 24 hours a week across 3 days 12:00pm – 20:00pm
- Flexible working – hybrid ways of working depending on how many days a week you will be working
SANE works to make a real difference for the five million people affected by complex mental health issues nationally. Australians affected by complex mental health issues, experience major barriers in accessing quality, affordable support, and face high levels of stigma and discrimination. SANE is committed to changing this through its digital and phone counselling, peer support services, arts programming and services, and advocacy and research programs.
SANE’s Peer Support Workers, Telehealth Services purposefully share parts of their mental health and recovery journey to build empathetic supportive relationships, to promote empowerment and to share information and resources with people living with complex mental health issues.
- Deliver 1:1 peer support across SANE’s programs including triage
- Hold responsibility for all welcome calls to participants, introducing yourself and SANE’s services
- Build strong rapport with all participants
- Conduct care planning sessions as well multi-session peer support
- Moderate the SANE Lived Experience and Friends, Family, and Carers Forums
- Focusing on the guided service, creating a personalised support programme for all participants
- Liaise directly with Mental Health Support workers, gathering a handover of each participant
- Delivering a high level of support over the phone, utilising personal experiences to assist in the understanding of the participants story
- A minimum Certificate IV in Mental Health Peer Work, Mental Health, Community Services, Intentional Peer Support (Lived Experience) – Essential
- Previous experience in Mental Health Peer Work, peer facilitation or lived experience workforce roles for a minimum of 1-2 years – Essential
- Personal lived experience of mental health concerns, service use and recovery, and a willingness to share your story purposefully to support the mental health of others.
- A willingness to complete training in ASIST, Trauma Informed Care, Safe Story Telling and Intentional Peer Support.
- Experience working in telephone based or online environments, in particular tele-web service delivery in mental health services.
- Full Working Rights in Australia.
- Identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
All SANE Employees are required to complete safeguarding checks including a National Police Check and Working with Children’s Check. SANE is an equal opportunity employer and prides itself on our diverse and inclusive workforce.
We are committed to providing a safe, culturally appropriate, inclusive environment for all people, regardless of their ethnicity, faith, disability, sexuality, or gender identity.
We encourage applicants of all backgrounds, including people with lived experience of complex mental health, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, people from CALD and LGBTQIA+ communities, and people of all ages to apply for our roles.
Please reach out if you require reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment and selection process. No Agencies Please, we’ve got this one 🙂